Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's not easy being green. Wait! Yes it is. RePurposing containers.

In my effort to decrease our garbage and recycling load, I decided to turn to my trusty pal, Pinterest (seriously, what did we do before this little gem?!) and put a few more things into the "Pinterest: Accomplished" board. 

Started with the parmesan cheese shaker container that I finally emptied. I don't use a lot of it, (mostly because I prefer the grated or wedge of parmesan or romano cheese to the powdered stuff) but it was here when I moved in, and I'm not one usually to let things go to waste. There were several different ideas for this style of container: yarn/twine dispenser, baking soda or borax shaker and what I ended up doing - Dusting flour



I LOVE baking. Especially pies and roll-out sugar cookies. This little contraption is going to greatly aid in the elimination of what our buddy Alton Brown has coined "club hand". You know, when your hand is a little greasy or moist from working with your pie crust dough, cookie dough, bread dough ("Any kind of dough." Movie: Zoolander) and you stick your hand in the flour only for it to become coated and caked well enough to consider how it might look fried to a crispy, golden brown. With my new little flour buddy, all I will need to do is shake, shake, shake, seƱora. 

While cleaning out my spice cupboard, I realized I had two containers of "Italian Seasoning" and since one of said containers was nearly empty, I decided the tiny bit left in the plastic bottle could be combined into the nice glass shaker in the twirly spice rack on the counter. I could've just thrown the plastic into the recycle bin, but I took pause. One of the suggestions for the ginormous Costco-sized parmesan shaker was powdered sugar. I don't use THAT much of the stuff (despite having a lifetime-supply due to our blended pantry) so the smaller shaker would do just fine for shaking the lovely "snow" onto waffles, pancakes, muffins, cookies, etc. A wash and dry later, we have a new shaker for the confectioner in all of us. 



Heck of a lot better than spending $1 on one at the dollar store. Now I can spend that G.Washington on something I really need.... like more ribbon from the discount ribbon bin. Because who DOESN'T need more ribbon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment