Thursday, June 14, 2012

Since you asked so nicely....

I had several requests for the recipe for the cake I took the the Staff/Council BBQ last night... I'd love to just be able to point you to one website where I swiped the whole thing, but it's really a combination of three different things I've read about on the glorious timewaster (aka Pinterest). I'll try to combine them all into something that may or may not be able to be followed. (Give me a break, it's 4:30 am)


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake

Cake: 
1 Pilsbury White Cake Mix (and the stuff it says on the back of the box to make it into a real cake) 

I made two 8-inch round cakes... 9" probably would've worked a little better. 
Bake, let cool, remove from pans and freeze for a bit so they're easier to work with. 

Filling: 
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar4 tablespoons milk (lactose free if you can't handle that 'spicy milk')
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I chopped up regular semi-sweet chips)


In your mixer (apple green Kitchen Aid - if you have a mom that loves you as much as mine does), cream together the butter and both sugars until smooth.  Mix in the milk and vanilla.  Mix in the flour until just combined. Add more milk if it's too thick - you want it to still have the texture of cookie dough, but be able to spread it on your cake). Then stir in the chocolate chips. 


Frosting: 
(not EXACTLY what I used, but I was doing it from memory - this would probably be better than what I concocted)
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
3½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. milk
2½ tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter, vanilla and sugars until fluffy. Add the flour and salt, beat. Add the milk and beat again until creamy. 

Putting the whole thing together: 
Pull your cakes out of the freezer, level them if needed. Spread the "dough" between the layers and freeze again for about 20 minutes. When your frosting is done (and chilled for about 20 mintues as well, Frost away! I topped mine with some semisweet chocolate crumbles that I thought were too small/powdery to put into the "dough". 

I apologize to you all for this cake. It was referred to as sinful about 20 times last night. There's a reason I was determined to NOT bring any home. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment